|Job Title||Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT)|
|Location||San Mateo, CA|
|Department||**Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)|
Job Title: EMT-B
Reports To: County Managers
Responsibilities (include but not limited to):
- Assists with patient care within the EMT-B scope of practice.
- Understands Royal's mission, values and quality standards by effectively demonstrating these core concepts in all interactions.
- Provides basic life support, including patient assessment, airway management, and use of the automatic defibrillator and assisting patients with taking some of their own medications.
- Coordinates with Dispatch to drive the ambulance to the appropriate location using the most expeditious route.
- Understands, addresses and resolves patient/customer needs to ensure the most appropriate treatment and/or course of action.
- Determines the nature and extent of illness or injury and establishes priority for required emergency care.
- Understands all applicable legal, moral and ethical issues surrounding emergency medical service.
- Prioritizes decisions and acts quickly in the best interest of the patient.
- Administers oxygen, oral glucose and activated charcoal as needed.
- Remains calm while working in difficult and stressful situations, and stays focused while carrying out the functions of the position.
- Constantly assesses the patient enroute to the emergency facility, administers additional care as indicated or directed by medical control.
- Reports verbally and in writing, their observation and emergency medical care of the patient at the emergency scene and in transit, to the receiving medical facility staff for purposes of records and diagnostics.
- Assists in lifting and carrying the patient out of the ambulance and into the receiving medical facility.
- Restocks and replaces used linens, blankets and other supplies as needed.
- Cleans all equipment following appropriate disinfecting procedures.
- Makes careful check of all equipment so that the ambulance is ready for the next run.
- Ensures that the ambulance is clean, washed and kept in professional conditions.
- Identifies customer service opportunities through effective listening and through an understanding of the customers' needs.
- Maintains a positive, courteous and respectful relationship with patients, customers and team members.
- Attends continuing education and refresher training programs.
- High-school diploma or equivalent (college degree preferred)
- Be a minimum of age 18 or older (for insurance purposes)
- Possess a Valid California Driver's License
- Possess a Valid California Ambulance Driver's License
- Possess a Valid Medical Examiner's Certificate
- Possess a Valid EMT County/State Card (NREMT is not a Valid EMT card to practice in the State of California)
- Possess a Current and Valid AHA CPR Card (Heartcode BLS)
- Driving Record must be acceptable
- Current TB Test and Flu Shot (within the last year)
- Current Immunization Records: DTap, HepB, and MMR (within last 10 years)
- Complete prior to employment: ICS-100, ICS-00003, ICS-700, & AWR-160
- Complete Hazmat Fro Online Course Certification as provided by Royal Ambulance (post hire)
- Current Santa Clara County EMS Badge (required only for EMTs working in San Jose and/or on CCT Units)
The EMT is required to sit; climb or balance; step, stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or carry up to 150 pounds and occasionally lift and/or carry up to 200 pounds.
Occupational Safety Risk for Infection Control:
Risk to exposure from blood borne pathogens – 3 High Risk
The EMT will be working regularly with confidential patient and personnel information. The EMT must have the ability to maintain composure and tact in stressful situations. Must possess the ability to communicate effectively in writing, verbally, and through radio and telephone communications. Must possess the ability to demonstrate compassion and a sincere dedication to patient needs, concerns and information confidentiality.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties, responsibilities and essential functions performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.